×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

Spain, Greece and Slovenia have also said they are working towards a ban after Australia's world-leading performance.

Newsroom February 16 01:57


The UK may impose, perhaps within the year, a ban on the use of social media by children under 16 similar to that of Australia, thus closing a legal loophole that has left some Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbots outside security regulations, as part of the government’s effort to address digital risks more quickly.

Prime Minister Kir Starmer’s government launched a consultation last month on banning the use of social media for children under 16 and is now working to change the legislation so that changes can be made within months of the consultation being completed.

Spain, Greece and Slovenia have also said they are working towards a ban following Australia’s world-leading ban on users under 16.

The scrutiny has intensified further since it was revealed that AI chatbox Grok, run by Elon Musk, was producing sexualised images of people without consent.

Growing global pressure on social media platforms

In Britain, the 2023 Cyber Security Bill is one of the strictest security regimes in the world, but it does not cover in-person interaction with AI chatbots unless users share information with other users, a legal loophole that technology minister Liz Kendall has said will soon be closed.

Britain cannot allow regulatory loopholes to continue as the law took nearly eight years to be passed and implemented, the minister said.

“I am concerned about these AI chatbots…as is the prime minister, about the impact they have on children and youth,” Kendall told Times Radio, adding that some children are entering into personal relationships with AI systems, but they are not designed with children’s safety in mind.

She said the government would present its proposals before June.

Speaking to the British media today, Kendall said technology companies would be responsible for ensuring their systems comply with British law.

The government will also consult on the changes needed for an automated data retention application in the event of a child’s death, which would allow investigators to secure critical online evidence, a measure long sought by victims’ families.

The consultation will also consider possible powers to tackle “stranger pairing” on games consoles as well as blocking the sending and receiving of images of nude content.

The new measures will be tabled for consideration in parliament as an amendment to existing legislation on crime and child protection.

While aimed at protecting children, such measures often have collateral effects on adults’ privacy and ability to access services, and have caused tension in relations with the US over free speech limits and regulatory reach.

>Related articles

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

Some major pornography websites have blocked British users rather than carrying out age checks, but this blocking can be circumvented by using available virtual private networks, which the government is considering banning for minors.

Many parents and online safety advocates support banning social media to children, but Kendall said some child protection organisations are concerned that this will push harmful actions into less regulated spaces or create a steep “cliff edge” at 16.

The minister added that the government still needed a legal definition for social media before any ban could come into force.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#social media#UK#underage#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Britain too is considering banning social media use for children under 16

February 16, 2026

Robeson Reeves: Our plan is paying off, scale and size are an advantage

February 16, 2026

Erdogan’s visit to Abu Dhabi postponed, what did the Turkish president invoke?

February 16, 2026

Warner Bros is considering re-entering talks with Paramount: What this means for Netflix

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

“Tehran” creator Dana Eden is the Israeli found dead in an Athens Hotel – “Murder claims are false”

February 16, 2026

Greece signs agreements with Chevron for Hydrocarbons in Crete and the Peloponnese in the presence of Mitsotakis

February 16, 2026

GPO Poll: ND Steadily Above 30%, PASOK Second, Small Drop for Tsipras and Karystianou

February 16, 2026
All News

> Lifestyle

Emma Stone in a little black dress from Julie de Libran’s runway — and Aquazzura sandals

Floral appliqués were a key motif of the designer’s Spring 2026 couture collection, although none had the dark, almost gothic mood of the one worn by Stone

February 11, 2026

Chris Hemsworth on his marriage proposal to Elsa Pataki: “There was a kind of ‘I don’t have anything better to do right now vibe’

February 11, 2026

Kimberly Guilfoyle will be the maid of honor for Konstantinos Argyros and Alexandra Nika: “It’s an honor and a blessing”

February 9, 2026

Elena Topalidou on working with Nicolas Cage: “When he saw me, he said I stood out

February 8, 2026

Gwyneth Paltrow to Gala: ‘When you have a dream, there is no Plan B

February 6, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα